I dreamt of owning a racehorse ever since those first vists to Taunton Races at the age of 11. Those dreams came true when my friends and I bought our first horse, a 4 year old mare called Tashlee Grove in training with our friend Brian Forsey when I was 18. She never got to the racecourse but a few horses later I had my first ever winner in my own colours on 14th May 1991, when Lady Primrose won a selling handicap hurdle at Newton Abbot under young jump jockey Carl Llewellyn (who went on to win the Grand National on Party Politics the following spring).

There followed one more winner in my colours (Aldahe at Lingfield Park over hurdles) before grown up things like work, mortgage, marriage and children took up more of my finances. I became a serial Syndicate member with Elite, Full Circle, Henry Ponsonby to name but a few before I took a share in Outset with Mark Kilner Racing. Outset was very successful on both the flat and over jumps and took me to some big racedays which gave me a taste of the life of the owner.

In Autumn 2005, I took the plunge and took a share in a 2 horse syndicate with Highclere Thoroughbred Racing. The 2 horses were Squadron trained by Amanda Perrett and Treat trained by Mick Channon. Treat surpassed all my wildest dreams by finishing 2nd in the Fillies Mile at Ascot as a 2 year old and then 4th in the 1000 Guineas before eventually being sold to Sheik Mohammed to stand at Darley Stud in Japan.

In Jan 2008, I bought into my first horse managed by Middleham Park Racing, Bonnie Prince Blue, quickly followed by my first 2 year old Victoire de Lyphar. I have become very impressed by the syndicate and Nick, Tim and Mike who run it and have got carried away to the extent of now owning shares (generally 5 percent) of 18 different horses in separate syndicates with MPR.

I thought I would share my thoughts and experiences with anyone who might be interested. If you have any interest in racing, I hope that my experiences may tempt you into the wonderful world of racehorse ownership.

I hope you enjoy reading my blog.

Wednesday 22 May 2013

ALL FOOTSTEPS LEAD TO YORK AND ASCOT

Well I did promise you that MAD MOOSE could do anything and he did in some style at Chester in finishing 2nd to the magnificent Mount Athos in the Group 3 Ormonde Stakes.

We were absolutely delighted with Moose's performance, he clearly relished the occasion and is performing to a really high level after only 2 Flat runs. The handicapper has reacted with a mark of 100, which counts him out of the Ascot Stakes, but leaves him eligible for all Top handicaps, Listed and Group Races.

He will run this weekend in the Listed Stowe Family Law Grand Cup at York. At entry stage it looks a competitive little heat but we will see at Declaration stage later this morning.

 
Mad Moose (courtesy of Darren Birdie)



Later on that Friday afternoon, we watched as our Footstepsinthesand filly SANDIVA made her debut for Richard Fahey under jockey Tom Eaves. She popped out the stalls well and sat in 3rd place, running extremely green as Tom tried to settle her. She looked like she didn't know how to go through the gap, so Tom switched her to the outside at the furlong pole. She settled matters in strides to go 6 lengths clear and earn the top Racing Post Rating for a two year old filly this year of 92.

We are all extremely excited by Sandiva and with her family, she could be a very valuable young lady. In the meantime we will look for a novice or maybe listed race prior to her most likely Royal Ascot target, the Albany Stakes over 6f.

 
 
Joining Mad Moose at York on Saturday will be another tremendously exciting filly STRANGE MAGIC. Strange Magic ventured to France late last season to be placed in 2 Listed races and has taken her time to come to hand this year, due to the harsh winter up in Malton. As a sprinting 3 year old, she will not be easy to place so we may be on our travels again as the season progresses, particularly as our girl prefers a bit of juice in the ground.
She is likely to make her debut in the big all aged 5f Sprint at York, which should put her spot on for whatever opportunity we can find for her in the next few weeks. Not sure there is anything suitable at Royal Ascot but we will hope for a good start on Saturday.
 
 
 
 
Looking forward to going to York on Saturday, great to have runners at one of my favourite Flat courses, hoping dreams continue to be realised and disasters kept to a minimum.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment